Monday, August 27, 2012

I miss the real George Lucas...

So, I had no intention of writing anything, but this has been a thought that has been bouncing around my head for some time. And that thought is this: I miss the real George Lucas. No, not the mega corporation that is LucasFilm, Industrial Light and Magic, THX sound, Lucas Arts, et al, no...but the George Lucas of THX 1138.

Have you ever seen THX 1138? It's a dystopian take on the future, with technology and oppressive government running rampant. A bit Orwellian. It's also not only spot on in its predictions, but amazingly acted, beautifully shot, and before its time (ditto with American Graffiti...beautifully shot, well scripted, well acted...). Both these movies were made on the cheap and were for all intents and purposes small "art films." Yes, believe it or not, there once was a time when George Lucas was capable of such things, and actually, he was amazingly good at it. Then, along came Star Wars and Indiana Jones, and...well...the rest is history obviously.

Now, I'm not one of those pretentious fucktards here to bash Lucas' success. I like Star Wars. I like Indiana Jones. They were not only a part of my life growing up, but both are now a permanent member of the cultural lexicon. However, now that George is a multi- gazillionaire, and has nothing to prove...I have this faint little hope that before his movie making days are over, he says "Oh, here's this weird little movie I made because I CAN and I really don't give a shit of you like it or not. No, it doesn't have Ewoks, Jabbas or Jar Jar's (although bikini clad Leia's are still good in my book), nor is it a fond recollection of innocent years past. No. It's a difficult to understand (for the average moron) and obtuse film filled with beautiful camera work and lacks a happy ending. But it's pretty fucking awesome for the non-mouth breathers who like a little art and allegory in their lives. Yes, I'm going to use the word elegiac. Enjoy. Or not. Either way...I'm not losing sleep over it because I could fucking care less." (George then flips off the interviewer and wanders off).

Is that too much to hope? Probably.

THX 1138
Photobucket

American Graffiti
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers